- This event has passed.
Cataplana Cooking Class with Chef Gareth Alanso
January 21 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm| $45 - $60
Cooking classes pairing classic, old world preparations with local farm fare with fresh, local seafood.
The name of this dish comes from the unique pan in which it is cooked. Available on every street corner in Portugal, the pan features two copper bowls connected by a hinge and a clasp. The cataplana is filled with ingredients, closed and heated over a stove. It is then opened at the table, releasing a cloud of steam and the incredible aromas of the finished dish. Of Portuguese origin, forerunner of the modern pressure cooker, the cataplana allows cooking various types of food, giving to them all a unique and unmistakable flavor through its hermetic steam cooking. Its harmonious shapes combined with its versatility makes the cataplana a very special utensil, unlike any other.
What to Expect:
- Mayport shrimp, Cedar Key clams, Mussels and fresh local whitefish
- Chirizo sausage, vine ripe tomatoes and hyrdroponic farm fresh herbs
- A vegetarian version
- Farm Fresh Avocado Salad salad
- Flambing Cherry Jubille with vanilla cream desert
- Complimentary Portuguese wine and port