4 medium zucchini (about 2 lbs); you can also use yellow squash
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 to 4 cloves)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium tomatoes, chopped, see note (about 12 oz)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons cold water
Salt, to taste
How to make Zucchini Noodles
The easiest way to make zucchini noodles is to use a spiralizer. They make long, curly noodles in minutes.
This is a great tool to add to your kitchen. Just google it – you can get them online easily. You can also use a julienne vegetable peeler. These come in at under $10 and might even be hiding in your kitchen gadget drawer right now. Most mandolin slicers will make noodles, too. You can also use a standard vegetable peeler and make wide noodles. Once you’ve got noodles, you’re ready to cook them.
- Trim and spiralize the zucchini or use peeler to make wide strips. Cut extra long noodles so that they are
about the length of spaghetti.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and the red pepper flakes to a large, deep skillet. Turn to medium heat. When the oil
begins to bubble around the garlic, add the zucchini noodles. Toss the noodles with pasta tongs and cook
until al dente — they should be wilted, but still have a crunch; 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the noodles cook
any longer or else they will become mushy. As they cook, keep tossing so that all the zucchini noodles
have a chance to hit the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Cook for one minute. Use pasta tongs to transfer the noodles, tomatoes, and basil to a serving dish. Leave the liquid in the skillet.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer. Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl then whisk into the
simmering liquid. Cook, while whisking, until the liquid thickens to a sauce; about 1 minute. Taste the
sauce and season with salt.
- Pour the sauce over the zucchini, tomatoes, and basil. Finish with more Parmesan cheese on top and
Makes 1 cup