8 cups cubed butternut squash (peeled and seeded), about 3 lbs of peeled cubes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 pinches cayenne
2 baking sheets, foil (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Line 2 baking sheets with foil (optional– protects baking sheet when the sugars caramelize so it won’t be sticky/hard to clean).
- Spread out the cubes on the baking sheets.
- Drizzle the squash on each baking sheet of squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup (2 tbsp
olive oil and 2 tbsp maple syrup total).
- Sprinkle each baking sheet evenly with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne (1/2 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 pinches cayenne total). Toss the squash on the sheets with clean hands to coat evenly.
- Roast the sheets of squash for about 30 minutes, switching the baking sheets on their racks halfway
through cooking, till the largest piece of squash is tender all the way through. Remove the baking sheets
from the oven and turn on the broiler.
- Take turns placing each baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes longer to caramelize (the squash
should be golden brown– careful, it will brown very fast– don’t let it burn!). Serve warm.